Wednesday, April 18, 2007

The "Flintstones Vitamin" birth control pill?

I'm somewhat rolling my eyes over the new "chewable birth control pill".

I first saw a commercial for it last night on TV.It showed a woman in, I guess her late 20's, running the frantic daily-life gamut that apparently every woman runs during the day, brushing her teeth, going to work, getting in a round of kickboxing,etc..but she just DOESN'T HAVE THE TIME TO TAKE HER BIRTH CONTROL PILL,OMG.So the new chewable one cuts the five-second time it takes to swallow a pill IN HALF,allowing this woman SO MUCH MORE TIME.
What's funny about that argument is that you are still supposed to drink something after you chew up the pill to wash away the residue to your stomach.Oh, dear god, that's ten more seconds, wasted.

Or does she simply forget to take her pills? And the chewies are easier to remember? Do they taste like Flintstones vitamins?(yes, I admit to downing a whole bottle of those as a kid because they tasted so freakin' good)

In an article I looked up online:"Why a chewable pill? Birth control pills don't work if you don't take them", notes Laurent Delli-Bovi, MD, medical director for Boston's Chestnut Hill Family Planning Facility.

Agreed.Okay, I can go with that.

"Research has shown that compliance still impacts oral contraceptive failure rates, and anything we can do to make it easier for our patients to maintain a daily regimen is a notable advancement."

(I might also add that the pill still has a failure rate, last I read it was 2 out of 100)

I still cannot believe my fellow women still need this kind of coddling.Here it is,one of the great miracles of modern medicine, the pill that gives us freedom over our own fertility, and women can't remember to take it.
I think if your life is SO hectic,and you're such a bad manager of your time that you cannot take time out to swallow a pill with a glass of water,how the heck do you manage time for a sexual partner?
And, if you are so immature that you cannot remember to take a simple pill, but its being a chewie pill will make you remember,do you really need to be making the beast-with-two-backs?

*sigh* I am thankful that we women here in the US have this kind of reproductive freedom and that more and more choices are being offered to us to make things easier.At the same time, it simply seems to me that the more irresponsible you are about keeping yourself from getting pregnant,the less you should emphasize sex in your life.Can you find something else to do?

1 comment:

Jill Christine said...

I thought the chewable bc made sense until I read that you still have to wash it down. How does chewing something and drinking a glass of water fit into a busy schedule any better than swallowing something and drinking a glass of water?

I'm reminded of the osteoporosis pill that's taken once a month instead of once a week. Sally Field's in the commercials, and she goes on and on about her friend who has to set aside time to take a pill every single week, and how inconvenient that is. My goodness -- how do people find the time? ;)